Cord Blood banking is a confusing topic. Many parents get bombarded with information when searching to see if cord blood banking is right for them. There is information that private cord blood banking companies, like Viacord and Cord Blood Registry , will not tell you, until now.
Here are 3 Cord Blood Facts Viacord and Cord Blood Registry Won’t Tell You:
- Cord blood cannot be used if the donor (baby) contains the same genetic illness as the recipient. Most cord blood banks glaze over this but it is important to understand that the odds of using cord blood for the same child are much lower than the odds of using them for a sibling.
- Generally, cord blood can only be used to treat children up to 65 lbs. This is because there simply aren’t enough stem cells on average in one unit of cord blood to treat an adult. Through our Cord Blood 2.0 technology, we can collect up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average. Therefore, getting more stem cells and the ability to treat someone later in life.
- The American Pediatric Association in 2008 recommended that physicians recommend that cord blood be donated instead of saved privately for family families. One of the major proponents for this was Joanne Kurtzberg, who profited from this by getting funding for her public cord blood bank at Duke University. She has since started her own private cord blood bank after doing more research on Cerebral Palsy. Interesting.
Americord can treat someone up to 165 lbs. Generally, cord blood can potentially be used to treat children up to 65 lbs.
Pricing Information Viacord and Cord Blood Registry Won’t Tell You:
- Stem Cell Storage is not included in their price. Viacord and Cord Blood Registry both charge for annual storage. This means that when you pay for your initial cord blood and/or cord tissue storage you will also have to pay annually for storage.
- There are other hidden fees that Viacord and Cord Blood Registry do not tell you about. This hidden fees can include courier fees, release fees, and shipment fees.
In Americord’s price, 20 years of storage is included and there are never any hidden fees. You can find the true price of many private cord blood banks on the Americord Pricing Calculator.